It was in the year 638 in Mecca, Saudi Arabia that construction originally began on the Great Mosque of Mecca. To date, it’s the most expensive building ever constructed, with construction costs totaling $100 billion, which would equate to $115.2 billion today. Not only is the Great Mosque of Mecca the most expensive construction project ever, but it’s also the priciest mosque ever built.
There are so many buildings across the world that have cost billions of dollars to build! This new infographic from the team at Decorative Ceiling Tiles lists out the most expensive buildings ever constructed, with information on where they’re located, when the construction was completed, how much each cost to build (USD), and the inflation-adjusted cost for 2022 (USD).
This infographic features buildings that have many different uses, including those for government use, hospitals, hotels, casinos, mosques, offices, private residences, shopping malls, sports stadiums, and even those that have mixed uses.
Some of the most expensive buildings ever constructed are sports stadiums, and the most expensive stadium ever built is SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California. The building plays host to both the Los Angeles Chargers and the Los Angeles Rams of the National Football League. It originally opened on September 8, 2020, and recently hosted Super Bowl LVI between the Los Angeles Rams and Cincinnati Bengals. It’s the 5th most expensive sports stadium ever built. Construction began in 2010 with costs of $5.7 billion, which equates to $7.79 billion today.
According to the research presented on this infographic, these are the ten most expensive buildings that have ever been constructed.
- The Great Mosque of Mecca: $100 billion ($115.2 billion in 2022 dollars)
- Abraj Al Bait: $15 billion ($19.5 billion in 2022 dollars)
- Marina Bay Sands: $5.7 billion ($7.79 billion in 2022 dollars)
- Resorts World Sentosa: $4.93 billion ($6.74 billion in 2022 dollars)
- SoFi Stadium: $5.5 billion ($6.33 billion in 2022 dollars)
- Apple Park: $5 billion ($6.08 billion in 2022 dollars)
- The Cosmopolitan: $3.9 billion ($5.33 billion in 2022 dollars)
- Wynn Palace: $4.2 billion ($5.22 billion in 2022 dollars)
- One World Trade Center: $3.8 billion ($4.93 billion in 2022 dollars)
- Palace of the Parliament: $2.5 billion ($4.64 billion in 2022 dollars)
Leave a Reply