Divorce can be an expensive process. Between lawyers, filing fees, alimony, child support, and dividing up assets, the costs can add up. For wealthy individuals with a substantial amount of money, sometimes the other partner can end up with a hefty settlement. Wyoming Trust & LLC Attorney looked at available data on confirmed divorce settlements to visualize the most expensive divorces.
At the top of the list are Jeff Bezos, founder and former CEO of Amazon, and his ex-wife MacKenzie Scott. Their 2019 divorce ended up in a $38 billion settlement ($44.7 billion adjusted for inflation). Scott has famously donated much of her settlement to various charities including Water for People, VisionSpring, and several school districts in California.
Next on the list is businessman Alec Wildenstein and his ex-wife Jocelyn Wildenstein, whose 1999 divorce resulted in a $3.8 billion settlement ($6.8 billion in today’s dollars). Jocelyn is perhaps best known for her extravagant lifestyle and dramatic plastic surgeries.
Third on the list is Adnan Khashoggi, a businessman and arms dealer, and Soraya Khashoggi. The couple divorced in 1980 with a settlement of $1.7 billion. Adjusted for inflation, the settlement would be $3.1 billion today.
The following are the top 10 most expensive divorces that have been officially recorded:
- Jeff Bezos and Mackenzie Scott in 2019: $38,000,000,000 ($44,715,849,751 adjusted)
- Alec Wildenstein and Jocelyn Wildenstein in 1999: $3,800,000,000 ($6,861,896,758 adjusted)
- Adnan Khashoggi and Soraya Khashoggi in 1980: $874,000,000 ($3,190,948,543 adjusted)
- Rupert Murdoch and Anna Murdoch Mann in 1999: $1,700,000,000 ($3,069,795,918 adjusted)
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West in 2022 : $2,700,000,000 ($2,775,513,830 adjusted)
- Bernie Ecclestone and Slavica Ecclestone in 2009: $1,200,000,000 ($1,682,730,717 adjusted)
- Bill Gross and Sue Gross in 2017: $1,300,000,000 ($1,595,512,402 adjusted)
- Steve Wynn and Elaine Wynne in 2010: $1,000,000,000 ($1,379,645,595 adjusted)
- Harold Hamm and Sue Ann Arnall in 2012: $974,800,000 ($1,277,293,099 adjusted)
- Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren in 2010: $710,000,000 ($979,548,372 adjusted)