Dating back to 1987, the Legend of Zelda is one of the most popular series in all of gaming, and rightfully so. In 1987, the very first game in the series was released for the Nintendo Entertainment System, and built a generation of fans that have stuck with it to this day. This is evidenced by the fact that the 2017 release of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has sold more than 24 million copies and is the fourth best-selling Nintendo Switch game ever, as of September 2021.
From Matinee Multilingual, this is a fun look back at the great games from the Legend of Zelda series from over the years. While this visual is a fun nostalgia trip looking back on some of Link’s adventures over the last four decades, there are some games that are missing, including the recent 2019 release of The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening for the Nintendo Switch.
While this guide claims to have ‘every Zelda on every Nintendo,’ it only lists out seventeen different main line games. In actuality, there were twenty main line games created, along with nine remakes, and several spin offs. So, while games are moving from this visual, it’s still a fun nostalgia ride to look through.
These are the ten best-selling games ever from the Legend of Zelda series:
- Breath of the Wild (Switch, Wii): 23 million+
- Twilight Princess (Wii, GameCube): 8.7 million
- Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64): 7.6 million
- The Legend of Zelda (NES): 6.51 million
- Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS): 6.02 million
- Phantom Hourglass (DS): 4.76 million
- A Link to the Past (SNES): 4.61 million
- The Wind Waker (GameCube): 4.43 million
- The Adventure of Link (NES): 4.38 million
- A Link Between World (3DS): 4.07 million
Since the 1987 release of The Legend of Zelda for the Nintendo Entertainment System, there have been so many classic games within the series. How many of games from the series have you played, and more importantly, which is your favorite?
Leave a Reply